Monday, 23 August 2010

One of the reasons...


I didn’t update for a week is that I started volunteering at the Children’s Society charity shop on North Street in Durham. I went two days last week. It’s been fun trying to decode the accents and answering questions about where I’m from. But the biggest perk is that I’m around people. It gets me out and meeting people. I also get to observe the funner and finer elements of Durham culture, like the older man wearing a Russian fur hat complete with flaps and rhinestone brooches across his tummy.
I can’t make this stuff up. And to make it seem even funnier (even though this is a true story) I’ll tell you how I came to observe him:
A fellow volunteer*, “C”, and I were organizing jewelry at the till (cash register) when this gentleman stopped in front of us. He had at this point browsed through the entirety of the store and didn’t find anything to his liking. Except the jewelry. The two or three rhinestone pins we had laid out on the counter to be exact. He stared at those pins for a good two minutes, not acknowledging C or me at all. Then he left.
I wish he had let himself buy a pin to keep the other five across his tummy company.

1 comment:

  1. Good work Article is awosome i like satta king by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.Play bazaaris very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...