Thursday, 20 September 2012

I'll always have Paris

My friend Chloe and I went to Paris this weekend. We stayed at her cousin's apartment and just, wow! It was a blast if I can be allowed that hyperbole. I got to see many things and to think many thoughts. It's easy when you don't speak the language readily and are forced to be still and silent, albeit willingly. Chloe's cousing and brother and sister were very welcoming and I was happy to be a part of it all.


The view where I stayed in the 7th arrondisement , Isabelle's apartment. At night, the tower is illuminated and at midnight, the twinkling lights sparkle from top to bottom. 
Blade Runner? Tron? You be the judge but no matter what, it looks cool.

We rented bikes and rode all over the city. I highly recommend this as it was so cheap...only 10 euros for the two days. My eyes, they were closed in ecstasy.

On Champs d'Elysses looking toward l'Arc de Triomph... I love my camera's zoom.


Inside Les Galeries Lafayette... Think Harrod's and the Galleria for reference for content and size.

Apparently, on the Saturday, there were protests outside the American embassy. I'd no idea but am not surprised based on this street graffiti. I did see the Bulgarian embassy. Supposedly, it is the new capital of European golfing...because you know, that's what you think of whenever Bulgaria comes up in conversation. /s

Inside l'Opera.. The grand gallery. Weddings are held here and it was the group's consensus that we'd not pick this as our venue as we would not want to be overshadowed by the opulence of the room. 

From l'Opera's balcony.

Obligatory Jim Morrison grave visit at Pere Lachaise

Chloe's sister and brother, Agathe and Gregoire, arguing over the best way to get to the next destination.




Me trying to listen and translate French to English.

My face the whole weekend, basically.


A street market in the 7th where I bought three original drawings. 

Chloe determining which is best route to get to the old city (Notre Dame)  from the 7th.

Beautiful flower "magasin". The man on the right in the grey long sleeved shirt is a minorly famous actor. I asked Chloe if she wanted his autograph. She replied, "He's not that famous."

Palais de Luxembourg. This is where you want to go if you bring your young kids to the city. There was a fantastic playground area and carousel.

Les jardines de Luxembourg...The gardens of the Palace of Luxembourg. Runners were running around the perimeter, people were sitting on the grassy areas allotted for that purpose, or they were sitting in metal chairs next to grassy areas where no sitting on the grass was allowed.

Saint-Sulpice, a church heavily prominent in it's position in the city and in Dan Brown's novel.

Love locks on the Pont de l'Archevêché, a bridge which crosses from Notre-Dame Cathedral to the Left Bank of the Seine

So, newlyweds lock their love lock and throw away the key into the Seine to prove that their love will last forever. However, I was told that should the marriage go sour, they have to fish/dig their key out of the Seine and take back the lock. Heheheh.

We rode our bikes on to the Louvre's plaza. Felt so... je ne sais quois.

Notre Dame. Should've stuck around to hear bells, but didn't. Eh.

I like street art on public works of official art. 

So, the best part about the Paris trip? Riding "les velos" all over the city. Hands down, I'd rather have been in the warm sun and crisp air of Paris on the cusp of autumn than manoeuvring in the Metro to get from A to B.

17 comments:

  1. You look like you had a total blast, perfect word for it. I have been to Paris twice but both times I was a teen and would love to go back as an adult when I'm not so obsessed with getting drunk in a seedy French bar or meeting a seedy French man.

    Oh my god. I just said seedy French man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better a seedy French man than a seedy blonde. I'd love to hear your stories!

      Delete
  2. Did you kiss Oscar Wilde's grave, too? You look so cute - what a grand adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sadly, many of the "famous" graves are blocked by crash barriers.

      Thanks! the French ladies all complimented my shirt... I was of half a mind to leave it with Agathe.

      Delete
  3. OK jealous face - love Paris as it's so elegant - you are brave to ride scooters, tho..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! I'd love nothing more than to cruise along on a Vespa and yell "ciao" randomly. The bikes were fast enough.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It truly is. And never mind complimenting the city to the Parisians... it's trite and cliche, or so they told me.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a blast. I love that you used bikes to get around the city. I might just have to use that transportation method if I ever get back to sweet Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why everybody doesn't ride bikes in Paris. Perfect city to do so.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh. Europe in the fall. I would be jealous if I wasn't so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dweej! But just so you know, it's okay to be jealous. I don't mind.

      Delete
  7. beautiful pictures, just stunning

    Now, how this work. You're an Okie living in England. Were the French people automatically rude to you because you were American or did you get some diplomaticac immunity since you live in europe?

    glad you had a good time...I've missed your comments and tweets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lance!

      No rudeness at all. The French are very polite people and are only rude in response to perceived boorishness from others.

      Delete
  8. Hi! I've missed you friend!!

    I just took a walk down memory lane with your Paris pics...I went in July. Dreamy!

    I hope NYC is treating you well.

    Colie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kabtak Chhupa Kar Rakhen Aankhon Me Isey, Ki Aansuon Ka Samandar Ab Sanbhala Nahi Jata.

    Sad Shyari In English Fonts At Poetry Tadkaplay bazaarwebsites new creating ideas satta king Kabhi Ro Lene Do Apne Kandho Pe Sar Rakhkar Mujhey, K Dard Ka Bawandar Ab Sanbhala Nahin Jata.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...