Sunday, 13 March 2011

Geordie Phrase of the Day vol. 1

Yay, for me. Yay for you too if you need that sort of affirmation. I had my first full shift and there's nothing to tell other than I had a bit of an ache in my back when I finished. Anyone who has ever worked in a mall, selling whatever, knows what I'm on about. Selling nuts and assorted sundries, none of it I can eat or that I should eat (see stage right). Yay for job! I'm as excited as I can be. Really. It's going to get me out of the house! I appreciate all your happies for me. That means a lot.

The non-alcoholic ginger beer/wine was opened for sampling. I expected something similar to ginger ale. I was wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Oh how wrong.
 
Supposedly it is a traditional beverage around the holidays as well as a nausea inhibitor...travel sickness, morning sickness. A winter warmer, so to speak. So, where's the antidote to this stuff? What do I drink to get rid of the nausea it itself induced? Oh how I long for a rootbeer. I can get a sarsaparilla or a cream soda...but no rootbeer. No rootbeer float for that matter. What did I learn today? The Dickensian recipe is not my thing, but yogurt covered raisins are okay.

In the course of the day, I picked up a couple of phrases I'd not heard yet:
1) "Flying around like a blue assed fly" and 2) "...having a right bad fettle."
Phrase one: US equivalent: running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off. (That got a small laugh.)
Phrase two: US equivalent: in a bad mood.

Also, the use of the plural pronoun "us" as a self-referencing pronoun. For example:
Friend: You coming out with us this Saturday?
Me: Who all is going?
Friend: Just me so far.
Here's another:
Friend: Och, he doesn't like us today very much.
Me: You and who else?
Friend: No, just me.
I get the impression that this is a language tic that is localized to areas north of the River Tyne.

Daylight savings won't happen here for another two weeks. The clock on my laptop had been the last bastion of my holding out against complete adjustment to life here. Upon arrival and unpacking, I didn't change it to the time I was geographically located in. It was just easier for me to remember home is six hours behind if it (the time) was staring at me from the little box in the lower right hand corner. A little bit of home here that took up neither shelf, floor, or drawer space. I'd look at that digital number representation and see that at 3pm here it'd be 9 am there. It was strangely comforting. It also (just a tiny bit) annoyed my husband. 

Small victories from minor skirmishes wins the war, people!

But since six hours is no longer the difference, due to the dastardly Daylight Savings Time Change, I've surrendered to the inevitable. I must do as the 'Romans' do as converting five hours is too much math for me. Can't be bothered. And since I've no clock hanging on the walls (ours broke during shipping, GAH!) and my phone is not always within reach, I should have the correct time at a glance, ness pah?

Although, in all likelihood (because of my natural prickliness and contrariness) I'll change it back to CST when we have our own time change here. Hey, if I've got to manually make the change, why not put it back to it's original factory settings?

Daunting cycle, innit?

16 comments:

  1. I am from the area of Geordie and I am tend to use the word 'is' to mean me. It may sometimes come across as us though sometimes with the who accent. I love using the word fettle haha!! Let me know if you ever need any help understanding anything haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure will! Thanks for the offer! What's a 'who accent'? Is it like who-cake, or Who-ville? Horton Hears a Who?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooooooo, are you going to observe daylight savings time or not?? You confuse me, woman ;-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll find the phrase 'give us a kiss' in use all over the UK going back donkey's years. Why? Not a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops!! lol!! I meant 'whole' accent thing!! I'm not really helping am I?

    Oh - a favourite word of mine which I don't even think makes it down to Durham even is the word 'canny'. You're northern if you use that word. It basically means nice. It can be used like: "They're canny." "The film was canny."

    I've had to explain that word a lot of times to people haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fettle - never heard of that. Mind you I am from the south of England

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these phrases. I'd be so lost lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard those sayings before, to be honest, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Patti: Let's meet for drinks and swap crazy phrases then.
    @Lauren: Nah, you would be just fine.
    @David: Can I call you Dave? I'd heard of being in a fine fettle, but not having a bad fettle.
    @Missy: I hear "canny" used quite often!
    @Gary: Heard that in the pub once. Wasn't said to me though. Le sigh.
    @MsB: Nope. Contrary, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need to start using it and you will blend right in haha!! I actually use fettle to describe myself when I'm wound up: 'I'm in a right fettle today.'

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY for your new job!! WOO HOO!! This explains why you have not relocated to my city yet so we can be real life BFF's so I forgive you.

    My fave sayings come from Newfoundland - "stay where you're at and I'll come where you're to!"

    Have fun and send yogourt covered raisins. I likes them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the new job! I wonder if using "us" is due to the royal we that the monarchs are so famous for using :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Careful! Manually changing anything is a federal offense in the states!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whenever my friend heard someone say "we" (like "that's just what we're doing, get over it.")
    he would be like, "we? You got a turd in your pocket?"

    I always thought that was clever, but then again I was in 3rd grade.

    ReplyDelete
  15. See, it's dumb stuff like saying "us" when they mean "me" that is why we had to fight an entire revolutionary war to be free of that crap. And what the hell is a "fettle"?

    I just wandered over here from Mean Girl Diaries. I can't wait until I have like 3 hours to wander around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also, didn't Gollum from Lord of the Rings use the whole "us" thing?

    "He trickses us!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...