Friday, 4 March 2011

How do you say....?

I follow this great gal, Mallori's blog, aiukli. She featured me on her blog this past Tuesday (Thanks! Love you!) and she had partaken in a challenge (Regional Dialect Vlog) where you read from a list of words and answer a few selected questions.


Another example of viral internet going around. 


Now, because of the nature of the "challenge", um, I'd have to do another video log. This is great! But I do assure you that I am not going to overload you with videos of me. Srsly, who would want that?  But because I've made such a big deal about my Dolly Parton accent (or lack thereof) I wanted in on this when it was all hotness and not hotmess

If you want to play along, do it! Let me know, I'll link you up on my pagie here. Maybe Mallori will do the same! Go make nice with her and she just might ask you to be a feature on Tell the World Tuesday!

Words you must say: (heh, I added some)
aunt, route, wash, oil, theater, iron, orange, chocolate, salmon, caramel, fire, water, sure, data, ruin, crayon, toilet, New Orleans, pecan, both, again, probably, spitting image, Alabama, lawyer, coupon, mayonnaise, syrup, pajamas, caught, Nevada

Then answer these questions:
1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
4. What do you call gym shoes?
5. What do you say to address a group of people?
6. What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
7. What do you call your grandparents?
8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with?





Last year I found some cool links for this very same thing!
http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/oklahoma/oklahoma.htm
http://hubpages.com/hub/American-Dialects-I-Speak-American-How-About-You
http://www.soundcomparisons.com/Eng/Direct/Englishes/SglLgTynesideTrad.htm

15 comments:

  1. Channel changer! Oh wow that takes me back. I'd totally forgotten about that one. That's what we used to call it when it first came out. I think the only thing I would have said differently was question 1- we called it "rolling." And #9, I would have had no idea. I never even knew it had a name. But my answer to #7 would have to be "As little as possible." I know, I'm a terrible person...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHy? If your grandparents are crap, then why bother? If they're sweetness and light, then yah, somethings wrong with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The devil beat his wife?! Wowzers, that's a lil different then my sun showers!lol! This was awesome, & I say more vlogs:)!! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday to you too Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I think I may have to do this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I can see why they call it a challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I'm the one who calls it a challenge, no one else did.

    Why? Was I awful? Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you did this- so fun! We say a couple things differently like route and spitting image!

    Hope your having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Following you from Copyboy's blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your voice! It is so Dolly and then some. Cracking post again. Am loving my visits here! Happy Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Shalyn- I'm having a fantastic weekend, how about you?
    @Marnie: Welcome welcome welcome! Ain't he a hoot?
    @TaiTai: Thankee kindly! Come by anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those spider things...I call them dead...cause I hate them and try to kill them :) Spiders suck. Great post tho...love the vlogs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yay! I loved this! I probably say "spittin' image" more than spitting image, but when I was reading it I was super nervous. Thanks for doing this! Hope you had fun!

    Oh, I also voted on your little poll at the top, but I chose more than one because that's how I was. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  14. You need to add band nerd to your list of things :) How could you forget about me like that, Mollie?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man, Lauren, I effed up. I guess you can pick the last choice. BLergh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...