So, if you're going to move here or visit here, this might help...
![]() |
| The glass half door |
First encounter with this interesting fixture was in the hotel we stayed in while we were looking for a place to live in 2010. It swings outward; it does NOT slide. It also does not do a whole lot to prevent water from getting on the bathroom floor either.
Also, note the shower head fixture attached to the faucet. We've been here around three weeks (new house) and have still not figured out how to turn the shower off so that we can just run the bath. Phone calls to landlord have not been returned. Again, another example of how expectations are unfulfilled.
Here's a quick rundown of how it was...
And so, you've just arrived in a foreign country. You've got the kid fed and down for a well-deserved nap, now you're ready to scrape the grime that's accumulated over the last 24 hours of travel. You go in the bathroom for a shower and fail to find the light switch. Nevermind, you think, it's still light outside so you figure you don't really need light all that bad to wash your hair.
![]() |
| The new shower same as the old shower |
![]() |
| What the hell is this? |
Oh yeah, the light switch was on the outside of the bathroom. You ask yourself, how is that logical? If you really want to screw up someone's nighttime showering, then you could totally wreak some havoc. You kid.
Come to find out... you have to turn the shower on with this. It's the power source. Again, nothing to indicate that it has to be on in order to turn on the shower.
Because your husband is ScienceMan, he figures out the logistics of the Rube Goldberg bathroom. It only took him four two days no time at all. (he reads this blog sometimes. shssssh)
![]() |
| I promise you, I'm not lazy |
Oh, and brushing your teeth in front of a mirror? Ain't gonna happen all that often. Mirrors aren't usually over the sink...because there's a window there. And drying your hair in the bathroom or using a flatiron or an electric shaver (husband, y'all) also ain't gonna happen as THERE ARE NO ELECTRICAL OUTLETS IN YOUR BATHROOM.
I've had damp hair for the last 14 months.





What the hell it all looks to complicated for little ole Jo, and I really do not get the no power outlets in the bathroom I like to have a heater on during the winter months.As for the light switch being on the outside of the room well ours is on the outside too it is something you get use to.
ReplyDeleteGood lord that must have been a nightmare. That's something I'd think would be universal. I'm glad you straightened it all out in case I get over there someday. Your hair looks great for being damp 14 months!!! Hugs@
ReplyDeleteWe have toilet roll holders on the wall, your shower is a 'power' shower so does not rely on your hot water tank for hot water it should hit it as it goes hence the power supply. No power outlets as water and electric is not a good idea, have you not seen all of those films where someone ends up sharing their bath with a heater, fans or other electrical item, think on! Finally I think the light is on the outside of the room as a warning to the user that someone may be entering is said user is having some 'alone time' in there.
ReplyDeleteIf you require any further assistance settling in then don't hesitate to shout up.
Hi there - I'm dealing with similar issues girl! Except - the power coming out of the socket in the bathroom is enough to burn my hair on my flat iron!! Oh girl....I went grocery shopping for two days and after a 5 hour surfing lesson at the beach..our fridge/freezer quit working... ????? So sad...about to post about it now.. you must check it out tomorrow...or later..
ReplyDeleteI remember living in London and it taking me a while to figure out that I had to turn on the BOILER before the hot water would work. Hey, I never had a boiler before!
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain.
I can't remember if I had a toilet paper holder or not. Hmm...
Man, where are you staying??? I grew up in London and my shower was easy to use and I had a toilet paper holder and electrical outlets! The light switch was outside though and made for fun times when guests visited! I am planning on moving back to he UK next year...whose your landlord? Make sure I don't use him!
ReplyDeleteMy God, I should have read this post before vacation. I too, wondered what the hell the half glass door was trying to do. It wasn't trying to keep the water in, that's for damn sure. I just thought maybe the second door was on it's way or it was under construction or something? The half door was almost as awkward as blow drying my hair sitting on a hotel floor, next to the wall with the only outlet. God help the Brits.
ReplyDeleteI'd die of dirt. I'd never figure outmhow to clean myself or what to wipe with if the toliet paper is hiding behind me in a virtual blackout at midnightmwhen i've forgotten how to turn on the lights.
ReplyDeleteAll of English plumbing was based on a dare. My favorite is the grubby string which must be tugged to get the light to come on. No. My favorite is the telephone inside the shower, that requires a complex series of codes and a fair amount of prayer to yield hot water. I remember visiting my grandmother in Newcastle and we would have to announce, ANNOUNCE that we wanted a bath, so that everyone could hold their breath and not use any water and then I'd wait and fill up the bath with two tablespoons of water before it got cold. And voila as they say, not in the slightest bit clean.
ReplyDeleteHi Mollie
ReplyDeleteI thought I'd pop over to check your blog out after your hilarious and quite justified comment over at Minute Man's Wife. Your description of the workings of the British bathroom is spot on. In mine the sink is so close to the toilet that you can have a dunp and clean your teeth all at the same time...if you were so inclined. I have a toilet roll holder though! GEM
Oh man...this is going to be harder then I thought. Thanks for the heads up!
ReplyDelete........I forgot the funniest part. My SIL is remodeling her house and was bitching how expensive the full glass shower doors were. I told her about the half ones in UK, and she almost looked intrigued. . . . heh.
ReplyDeleteI just found you and you rule. I think my least favorite thing about showering in Europe is the fact that none of the shower heads are connected to the wall, so you have to hold the shower thing and wash yourself at the same time, which requires a lot of coordination. This is one of my top five reasons that I believe all Europeans secretly have a third arm hidden somewhere.
ReplyDeleteI've had damp hair for the last 14 months
ReplyDeleteSo you have been introduced to the English Weather then….
As for bathrooms
Both our upstairs bathrooms have power outlets
Neither have loo roll holders (our downstairs loo/WC/rest room, whatever you Yanks want to call it, has one – which I regularly knock it off the wall, Grrrr)
Both of our showers work easily once you know the secret of hopping while you switch from bath to shower, skipping as you change the heat setting and flushing the loo twice….. then screaming and running around wildly until you pass out from the scalding you just received….British plumbing the best in the world…
As for the half glass panel, it is for evenly spreading the water around the bathroom and making sure the loo role gets wet no matter where you place it
@BackLOG: Why do people insist on calling us "Yanks"? Is it like the Amish calling us "English"? Thanks for stopping by!
ReplyDelete@Jackie: Along with a third nipple, third eye...yadda yadda yadda. Thanks for the comment!
@Hillary: I'm here for ya.
@GEM: I'm inclined to all things efficient.
@Tarabitesback: Too funny! Thanks for coming round here!
@Nicole: God forbid you become blind.
@BIFRachel: I kept thinking you'd message me somehow, yelling all sorts of obscenities and pleading for mercy. But please, don't start a new bathroom trend.
@Nazneen: No, it's easy to use...just illogical.
@Kyria: You've probably blocked out the horrors of those memories.
@Corey: Thanks for coming by! Yeah, I read about your "bleeding" fridge..yuck.
@Simon: Thanks Simon! You're a pal!
@BB: Sometimes. Thanks!
@Jo: Yeah, you do get used to it. Pretty quickly in fact.
Stopping by from FTLOB, this post made me laugh like crazy. I cannot imagine living in a country where everything is backasswards!
ReplyDeleteWow, I had no idea that British showers were so different and complicated (at least compared to what we are used to here Stateside).
ReplyDeleteGrowing up, the "kids" bathroom had a light switch on the outside of the door which was turned off on unsuspecting victims mid-shower quite a bit :)
@SarahE: More like "Twilight Zone"
ReplyDelete@KT: Verily I say unto you, it was a nightmare at first.