Friday, 30 March 2012

Big things on the way out, like my butt.

I'm doing the April 2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge. I was inspired to do so by David McCauley of Brits in the USA who did last year's challenge.

So far, I've only written one entry. I'm happy with it. I hope I can do this and keep up with it as March has not had much of a showing, writing wise. But, that's just because I didn't care to write about minutiae.

But it is the minutiae about this place that makes it so damn interesting, frustrating and experiential. Learning to recognize the mundane reality as the extraordinary reality is a chore I will both relish and complain about.

Like this afternoon. It was truly an ordinary day. Yet the sun was shining and on the walk to Tesco, the proprietors of two different shops along the high street of my village had set out lawn chairs along the sidewalk (pavement for you UK bloggers). Ordinary enough if they'd been in their backyard (garden) but nope, extraordinary in that the weather was nice enough to allow all four of them to do this in the middle of the sidewalk.

Also, as I was bringing in the trash cans (rubbish bins), the old guy across the alley decided to come over to talk to me about what I have no idea, but I've heard it before and it was the same old, same old about how he took care of young girls after the war and then was telling me all about one girl's menstrual issues and that she was in a hospital for an operation and how he said she should bang up and go to the chemist's (pharmacy) and get some peppermint oil and put just a few drops on a tablespoon full of sugar and her cramps would then go away and about how some of these women who are still alive write letters to him but his grandson is too busy to come to see him particularly now that he has a fiancee. 

Of course there was more drivel than just that... some of the RAF stories are cool, but he likes to devolve to stories about the girls and how he showed them around after the war and helped them to deal with their bodily functions. At which point I like to take out my phone to text SciMan to call me to save me from the sad, creepy old man. Bless him and his precious girls.

Also, am happily down a few sizes. When we moved here, I was a UK size 20 and am now a size 16 (US size 14) in pants (trousers for you UK bloggers). Progress. Minutiae, but still, progress.

10 comments:

  1. congrats on the weight loss. we've got that whole "getting fitter" thing happening here. Of course the cookie cake in the kitchen laugsh at that idea.

    I'm excited about your A-Z blogging. I miss your words on a regular basis. Go Mollie Go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lance. That's a really nice thing to hear. Good luck with your "progress" too!

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of you blogging more.

    And congrats on the weight loss! And my sympathies about the random "Brit drivel" you enjoyed/endured today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ada. I appreciate that!

      One of these days, I shall endure the entirety of the old man's rambling and will strive to remember all of it.

      Delete
  3. More blogging = less of a badonk (bum).

    That's a good thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should hope so. Tracy Morgan might disagree.

      Delete
  4. Aunt Flo is always a great ice breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ick - now I feel guilty Molly - OMG, creepy neighbor - good luck with the challenge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I spelled (spelt) your name wrong.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...