Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Perfecting the art of doing nothing

For the last three days, I've done nothing above and beyond washing the dishes and brushing my teeth. I don't think I've cooked dinner either. SciMan did that for me. Look at this beaut!



Poached eggs on toast.

So, for the last few days, SciMan's been under the weather and has stayed home. I've taken Kiddo to school and one morning, after dropping her off, I went to the lounge at the bottom of the hill for breakfast. SciMan had waxed ecstatic over their poached eggs on ciabatta. I decided to give it a go. It was okay. Came with a fried tomato and mushrooms. Ciabatta is good for sammies and paninis, but not really useful for an eggy breakfast. The mushrooms were good though. While eating, and because I didn't have a book with me, I looked up how to make a poached egg as I was, overall, happy to eat one. The website I found, ThePerfectPoachedEgg.com is meticulously clear about the method of making The Perfect Poached Egg. I laughed out loud in the lounge and disturbed several students.

Why I laughed:
The three starter items needed according to ThePerfectPoachedEgg.com are a good egg, a non-stick frying pan, and a reliable toaster*.
 The simple steps
The variables 

I got home and told SciMan what I experienced regarding the ciabatta and said, "Tiger loaf would be more appropriate." He agreed. After more conversation, it was determined that we could ourselves learn to make poached eggs. After all, when in Roma...

 SciMan used Alton Brown's method, but I sure did think that the poached egg website was a riot. And isn't that photo just lovely? It was taken with my new Samsung Galaxy S II.


Dual Core

Lots of Gigs.

Mega Pixels. Also lots.

 You can just feel the cracked pepper in your teeth because of my phone. The crunchy roughness of tiger loaf melting away in a puddle a buttery yolk is brought to you by the letter, Technology and the number, Mine Now. Thanks to contractual upgrades, I'm feeling all Enya-y because of the basil and tomato.

I leave you with a darling video of my darling Kiddo, circa 2009, titled  "In which Kiddo is gifted with her Momma's Grandma's jewelry".









*This is serious business. Unreliable kitchen appliances are shit. Wars have been fought, marriages ended, and jihads commenced over less. 


9 comments:

  1. I feel like that's slightly too healthy for a true Oklahoma girl. Put some gravy on that toast.

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm... gravy.

      But as far as healthy...that's a huge lump of real butter at the bottom of the left hand side toast.

      Delete
  2. Now I'm totally craving a poached egg. Nothing says spring to me more than a poached egg and maybe some asparagus. Yum!

    I haven't been doing anything lately either. Not sure what that's all about. Maybe we can blame it on a moon phase or some planet going into retrograde. Maybe . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was feeling like that looked pretty tasty until your first commenter mentioned gravy...

    And doing nothing is awesome. It is especially awesome now that northern Britain is emerging from eternal darkness and perpetual cold rain. Bring on the nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yesh! so tastygood! Have you been in England long? Like, have you had a summer here yet? Dawn at 4 am. Hoorah!

      Delete
  4. That looks sooo tasty!
    RE: Toasters: The other day I made the mistake of actually getting down on my hands and knees to scrub the kitchen floor and came eye level with our toaster oven(it sits on a low shelf of a cart). There was a layer of dense packed dust at least 2 inches thick sitting on the top of it. When I wiped it away- I swear the toaster shivered a little. We've had it for a while and it toasts okay. I'm afraid to clean it for fear it will no longer function. But, I'm also afraid of what might take up residence in the dust nest.

    Kiddo's voice is so adorable in that video. It reminds me of The Baby's voice:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a nice layer of dust everywhere. You can come wipe it off anytime.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...