Wednesday, 4 April 2012

D- Derp

Derp is an expression used online and IRL to indicate stupidity, either your own or others'. It's like saying, "well, duh" for you children of the 80s & 90s. According to Know Your Meme, "derp" was first used in the massively successful and highly acclaimed cinematic achievement brought to life by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Baseketball.

I quite like the word. In fact, in the past and in certain contexts, it has made me laugh out loud so hard, tears flowed freely. I watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I'm not ashamed. I'm a hardcore Fluttershy fan. I will listen to the dubstep remix of Fluttershy screaming "You are going to love me!" over and over. And over. One of the characters on the show is named Derpy Hooves.
 

Derpy's got a lot of love and helpfulness to share, but she's not always quick on the uptake. Take a look at her eyes. Derpy's a bit wall-eyed and this results in some minor to major catastrophes, namely structural damages to the public buildings in Ponyville. Anyway, Derpy's eyes were a result of an animation error and the fans (read: bronies) really liked it and it stayed.

Nevertheless, I bring up Derpy Hooves because two Fridays ago, I came face to face with my very own IRL version of a DERPY HOOVES EYE CONFIGURATION.

A couple of older gentlemen came into the store. I went up to one of them with the intent to see if he needed any assistance, like I'm supposed to. And I shit you not, one of his eyes focused on me then moved on to a point over my right shoulder while the other eye slowly swiveled in its socket upward in the opposite direction.

I've always wondered how I'd handle my own eye contact placement with such a person afflicted with low eye muscle strength. I think I did OK outwardly. I helped him find what he and his friend (relative?) were looking for (hard candy for the tables of a wedding reception). I sold the products, along with the ones I recommended, bagged them up and sent them on their merry way.

All without laughing. I guess this isn't something to be way proud of but it did confirm what I've always suspected about myself.

I'm a good person.

I'm a good person because I know to laugh at those who are intentionally stupid, not those that can't help it. I don't laugh at or mock disabled or mentally challenged persons. I know what being laughed at and mocked feels like. So there's no way I'd do that intentionally.

But a wall-eyed expression on people not normally so, well... I don't care what you say, that's funny right there.

Barneye Derpson
See more on Know Your Meme
Well, since Mad-Eye is dead, might as well have a go at it...
See more on Know Your Meme
Okay, so maybe Gerard Butler is a bad example...I'm not seeing much of a change here. KIDDING.
See more on Know Your Meme

And the "derpage" has evolved ever so cleverly too. My new favorite derp is Berks, aka Gersberms.
Try reading that aloud.
It'll make you cry, one way or the other.
See more on Know Your Meme

See more on Know Your Meme
Terk a lerk, ert's en er berk!
A Rerding Reenber!




16 comments:

  1. Wait wait wait..... MLP dubstep? That sound vile.

    Can you email me a link? :D

    I love me some derp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love derp. Especially when derp herps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 7th grader is lerking ert mer ferny because I am laughing so hard. Thank you so much for this- all of it- I really needed it:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell me you shared it with the 7th grader! He'll be sooooo cool if you do!

      Delete
  4. Hahahaha, I have not seen the last Meme yet and am dying here. She's sooooo great. Love it. I've been quite Derpy at blogging lately. And thanks for your check to see if I was still alive. Only part Zombie, not full yet. Plan on blogging a bit later this week. Plan being the optimal word :) Missed ya and you're wicked sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard the term Derp but guess it is the same as saying Der.............lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't know that word, but now I do. :D

    Look forward to your challenge run…
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I can educate. Come back anytime!

      Delete
  7. I love that word. I will probably now use it excessively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful, excessive derpage results in kittens.

      Delete
  8. We clearly share the same humor. Stopping by for A to Z challenge, I'll try to keep up with yer blerg, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blerg would be graced by your presence.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...