But I couldn't get her to eat this (smaller portioned, of course) superhardchampion meal...
![]() |
| This meal courtesy of my mad skills, Lidl, Tesco, and the United States Postal Service |
That's African springbok(!) in the southwestern corner, bordered on the north by Belgian Brussels sprouts and on the east by Uncle Ben's tasty San Franciscan treat.
Why won't she eat it?! That meat's badass. Like butter and no, not like the time I ate butter on camera (heh, that was fun) but like so tender I could use a fork to cut it, no knife! And as for fat and gristle? Non-existent.
Will she eat chicken? No. PB&J? Of course, dummy. That's patriotism, that is. Will she eat meatloaf? Yes...odd, that, even with considering how my meatloaf would kick your mom's and grandmother's ass... meatloaf's ass, not theirs. And I sometimes still have to feed her by hand. Like we're not done with the whole imprinting/bonding process. Did I stop nursing too early?
Meh. That's not it.
She's got no problem eating fruit on her own as long as I get the fruit washed first. (GASP, BOOM, SHUDDER...there may have been times she's eaten unwashed fruit! Horrible mother.) I bought a bag of apples on Saturday. There are none left. Hell, I have to restrain her from chowing down on the wild strawberries growing out the back. She'll eat the green ones if I'm not constant vigilante.
Allie Brosh goes on cake. She is almost four, y'all.
So I still wonder, do the lunch ladies at Nursery feed her by hand, too? Should I get a meal calendar from the school, so I know what's she's eating? I want to set up a CCTV feed direct streaming to my laptop so that I can
Because I like to think she gets it from me.


I have a theory about my kids' eating habits. Not sure how it goes with your theory. But I ate pretty healthy during my twin pregnancy and made most of their baby food. I could control the consistency and variety of foods I gave them. With Zoe? I ate like total crap during her pregnancy, mostly out of convenience bc I was so busy, and I was too busy to mke any of her food. That kid won't eat a DAMN THING. She hated going from the smooth foods to chunkier foods, and even now she picks a few things and then starts pushing everything away. Drives me mad.
ReplyDeleteWith Violet's digestive issues- I worry that this will be me- feeding her like a bird for the rest of her life. I mean- she'd rather feed herself and was doing great with feeding herself table foods- but, since we've backed off on a lot of the foods she was eating (due to the slow gastric emptying) we're back on mushy stuff that is far too messy for her to handle on her own (now). Anyway, all of my kids started to become picky around your kiddo's age (two got over it, and my oldest is still very picky). And while I don't recall if any of them wanted us to feed them by hand- I can say that Annalee started to ask us to brush her teeth for her again (when she had been doing it on her own for years) when she was entering kindergarten. Maybe it is that they sense that they are growing up and they want to hold on to the comfort of mommy and daddy caring for them like they were when they were babies?
ReplyDeleteYour dinner looks great, by the way. I would totally eat it :-)
That meal looks really tasty! I wasn't a big fan of fruits when I was little (gasp! I love them now) so at least she likes to eat healthy food most of the time :)
ReplyDeleteSpringbok!?!? That is awesome. Hey, I think it is good that you are introducing her to new food, whether she likes it or not. My husband ate the same things everyday when he was a kid, and is still being introduced to 'new' things...with a lot of hesitation.
ReplyDeleteAnd washing smashing, let her eat the dirt and all, haha. You got the chills just reading that, didn't you?!
Well done getting her to eat fruit.
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute picture!! D would.not.eat when he was younger. Like my MIL brought him to the DR cuz she thought they'd call CFS on her cuz he was Ethiopian skinny. He's the still the pickiest eater I've ever met - I sneak things in (like spinach into mashed potatoes so he can't pick it out) but he's also 6ft and 190lbs so I think he's ok. LOL :)
ReplyDeleteGuilty of baby bird feeding. We have food issues too. Mine will only eat broccoli from a take out restaurant. No matter how I fix it at home she won't touch it. The restaurant thinks I'm nuts when I go in a couple times a week and ask for bowls of steamed broccoli. Shit, if my kid will eat BROCCOLI I will go out of my way for it. We like fruit too. She will sit down to a carton of raspberries and demolish the whole thing if I don't pay attention. Kids.
ReplyDeletePS) I like your eye patch idea.
If only they came with a manual. My mom had 5 of us and said we were all as different as night and day from each other. Just find what they like and feed it to them I guess.
ReplyDeleteKiddo is so darn cute! love those CHEEKS!! :D
ReplyDeleteI was a PICKY eater as a kid and now I eat anything and everything. Wonder if your taste buds die when you grow up or something? I can only speak as a non-Mom, but it sounds like to me you're doing an awesome job getting her to eat icky things like fruit and stuff. You may want to write a book and share your secrets!
ReplyDeleteI work on 'feeding' for my job. Some kiddoes are just picky eaters and other have a sensitive gag reflex to certain textures and flavours. Others haven't developed the complexities of rotary chewing, moving food around their mouth and controlling the food so it doesn't fall out past their lips or down the back of their throat. Meatloaf, hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets are popular with the young'uns because the meat is minced so they don't get tired chewing it. Even meat that's very tender still requires some mature manipulation inside your mouth. Kiddoes also develop a taste for bitter foods (read: veggies, aside from carrots and peas) later on. It's great to continue offering her the same foods you all eat so that she is familiar with them and knows what they are when she's ready to try them :)
ReplyDeleteAs for the hand feeding, I would wonder if a) she enjoys that one-one time with you and/or b) you break up the food into safe portions for her so she doesn't have to worry about how to attack that particular meal.
Oh and I think it's a great idea to ask what she does at day care to see if she saves those behaviours for you or if they are part of her meal time routine.
(Sorry for the long-winded comment. I may be wrong on all counts but those are just some basic things to think about if you're interested)
I hate it that my 2 year old refuses to feed herself! This too shall pass.
ReplyDeleteGood work Article is awosome i like satta king by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.Play bazaar
ReplyDelete