And this is what I've been pissed about for a week. There's this little boy at kiddo's school who has some severe and profound disabilities. He did this to her.
This is what the report says:
"After school club children were outside. Kiddo was playing with wooden blocks alone...*** came outside, went straight to her and grabbed her by the hair and pushed her face into a wooden block on the ground."
Uh, 'scuse me?
No, he had to have "slammed" her face into that block, not "pushed" to get that big of bruise on her face. Also, he pulled out a big chunk of her hair.
I say, fuck inclusion...because this isn't the first time shit like this has happened to her caused by this same child. I honestly don't give a flying fuck if someone's retarded or not...when you hurt my child, you need to be expelled.
So here's the school's solution:
The two children with be kept away from each other. If one is outside, the other must be inside. The two shall take their meals separately.
I understand IEPs. I've implemented them before. But I've never agreed with the policy that just because a child is on a BIP or IEP, that when they are violent, their consequences are different than everyone else's. And so, what I want to know is... when can I go mano y mano with that mom?
I can not wait to get out of here. |
If you do go up against the mom, I got a fiver on you. Just so's you know. Grats on the rain dance though!
ReplyDeleteSo wait... because the other kid did something wrong, and sounding unprovoked, your child is being punished as well?
ReplyDeleteOH HELL NAW. Them's fightin words...
omg. I would go completely Jet Li on that kid's ass. I don't care what kind of issues he's dealing with. I'm pretty sure I would Jet Li those teachers too.
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe they didn't expell that kid! GEEZ! I would have been SO pissed - especially since this is NOT the first time it has happened!!! Like you said - her face was more than pushed into those blocks for a bruise like that to happen! I think the school's solution should be
ReplyDeleteHE will be kept away from HER. If SHE is outside, HE must be inside. HE should eat away from everyone else.
I sure hope they aren't changing around her schedule to accommodate him because that wouldn't be right either.
See - should have picked Kansas! Kansas would have handled that I bit better in their school systems I think!
How much longer do you have to be in the UK?? LOL
Prosciutto, honey, figs, tomatoes and mozzarella?! I am making that pronto!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Kristina, kiddo shouldn't have to be inside just because the other kid is outside when he is the one who can't play nice not kiddo!
Poor baby!! Her little face :( Still smiling I see, though. And you are right, disability or no disability, if this kid is unable to control his issues, he needs to be removed from all the other kids. I would be mad as hell too.At least the pizza looks great and you have yourself a new fave drink. Hope that turns this week around a bit for you!
ReplyDeleteSorry, but that school's "solution" doesn't sound like much of one. Why should your child have to adjust/change her school day activities because of the erratic behavior of another kid? Doesn't make sense.
ReplyDeleteOh my god! That's terrible...poor thing :-( As a teacher I have to agree that inclusion is all well and good in the idea but in reality it is hard to work sometimes. Then it's even more difficult to have said child placed in a school for disabilities. I really question education sometimes, the profession opens my eyes up to a lot of things. If you are that unhappy, my advice would be to go straight to head teacher and discuss matters with them. Good luck with sorting things out!!
ReplyDeleteOh and please, of you control the weather, give me more sun and warmth like today...pretty plaese :-)
Get her out of there. It will happen again. IF she is gone, it will not happen to her and WILL happen to another child. File a police report. Did you take her to a doctor and have him look at the face and the hair so that a record of it exits? Seriously, he could hurt her even worse next time. She could lose an eye or worse... (By the way, I had to do this one time when I thought I couldn't, when I felt trapped. You can, too.)
ReplyDeleteThat pizza looks great!
That kid is a little asshole! I hope kiddo is ok...she looks adorable even with two black eyes! Can you control the weather here too...so sick of this shitty weather.
ReplyDeleteJeez, I would want the child to be punished too. Your poor girl, that looks like it hurt. Hopefully the hatefulness stops.
ReplyDeleteI can't even believe that shit!! What the crap are schools doing these days?! A bully is a bully...and that kid is obviously a bully. Poor kiddo...sporting that shiner with a smile though. Obviously an excellent kid!
ReplyDeleteI think anyone would be pissed if their child had a bruise like that. it's shit.
ReplyDeleteBUT, it's so touchy when it comes to a "special needs" child...I don't know, I feel like most people, whether or not they are retarded, have a general since of right and wrong.
Mano y mano begins NOW. Seriously. Who the hell do they have making these decisions? Probably someone "disabled" as well. I'd start there. How frustrating for you and your poor smiling piece of perfection. On another crazy, semi-related note Mr. Mean Girl made that exact same pizza this weekend. It's called something weird. It's delicious!
ReplyDeletethat's totally not OK. I suggest you make a complaint and also contact the local press. As a journalist I know school authorities really get rattled if they think they are going to be in the media and will normally take action to head off or mitigate a damaging story.
ReplyDeleteI'm all for mainstreaming children with disabilities BUT with strict parameters. This offending child does not fit within such guidelines, is a danger to himself and, obviously, others.
ReplyDeleteSeparating the kids is pure bullshit; this boy needs to be removed and placed in an environment where he can be monitored more effectively. Pushing, shoving...that can be overlooked as children learn to socialize. Picking up objects or using them to inflict pain as well as the hair-pulling...this boy is a Sociopath-in-training.
I don't know what social services resources are available to you or if there is even a school psychologist but I would raise effing hell with any authoritative entity you can contact.
Hope your daughter is okay, Mollie.
My best friend has special needs. She is NOT violent. I know people who are sharp as a tack. They ARE violent. The common ground here? If you are violent, then YOU'RE FUCKING VIOLENT, and should be punished accordingly!
ReplyDeleteWhat a load of shit. I'm sorry for your little girl. And I'd go talk to that other kid's mom pronto, because he probably gets away with everything for being special needs. That's a dangerous bruise. What if her eye had been on the corner of that block? Don't risk it, hon. Stand up and fight back.
Even with that eye she is still smiling! What a sweetie!! Just wanted to say as behavioral therapist,I totally agree with you. What the school is trying to implement is crap & not nearly enough to actually deal with this child's issue.Kids need to be safe at school & the school needs to make it that way! So sorry for your lil one & you too! Hang in there & hope things get better!!Xo
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for coming in late on this. You are right that is not a solution at all- your child should not be punished for the other child's aggressive, physically threatening behavior. We had a similar issue with Henry when he was in 1st grade. He was having terrible anxiety issues about leaving for school in the morning and we couldn't figure out why until I spent some time volunteering in the classroom. Because Henry was a good student, a well behaved student, a quiet student, he was forced to sit next to a boy who- while extremely intelligent was also profoundly disturbed. He kept threatening to stab Henry with his scissors; he would, out of the blue, lean over and punch Henry in the arm. This boy would throw "tantrums" to the point of lifting his desk and all of its contents in the air and dropping it to the floor. No wonder my kid was afraid to go to school. The teacher and the principal lobbied to have this child removed- but the parents (who worked in the field of special education) kept threatening lawsuits because the school was violating their child's rights under the Americans With Disabilities act. Finally, a large group of parents from the classroom wrote compelling letters to (god, I can't remember if it was the Board of Ed or not)stating their concerns for the safety of the other kids in the room and the school overall. It worked and this child was re-evaluated and deemed unfit for the inclusion classroom. He was placed in a 6-1-1 at another school. And finally he was placed in a day treatment program.
ReplyDeleteThis was all a very long way of telling you that I completely sympathize with your frustration and concern. I hope that somehow this all resolves in your favor. Hang in there, mama.
I am so freaking behind in my reading, Mollie! And I am livid! I sincerely hope that when I read the more recent posts there has been some improvement because that is unacceptable. UNACCEPTABLE!
ReplyDeleteMy son is 3. Is this child less developmentally advanced than a 3 year old? If so, why is he at that school? If not *then he can know better!*. The end.
People need to start giving kids more credit. That they are smarter and more competent than most want us to believe...and raise their expectations in accordance.
Good work Article is awosome i like satta king by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.Play bazaar
ReplyDelete