Thursday, 2 June 2011

Getting caught up: 30 DoB Challenge Days 23-26

Peter the bartender at the local pub gave me two books last night... Jeffrey Deaver's Hard News and The Vanished Man. He said they were good toilet reads. 

Really Peter? Come on. Should I read them or is it too icky? Oh, and get this, he then proceeds to tell me an off-color joke about the Mississippi preacher and was disappointed when I'd already heard it. 

I mean, his cadence was even put off! Ruth hadn't heard the joke though and he was able to tell her about the crazy American preacher. 


I wouldn't have minded normally. But he didn't tell it well. Karl Malden did it better and since I can't embed, here's the link to the West Wing episode he did it in. Peter was quite disturbed to know that his joke was in a West Wing episode. 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX6wOOJy0hk


Why did Karl Malden always play a 'man of the cloth'?




Day 23- Favorite Romance Novel
File:PrideAndPrejudiceTitlePage.jpg
source

and all the other Pride and Prejudice sequels, like Mr Darcy's Daughters, Bridget Jones' Diary, and Mr Darcy Takes a Wife just to name a few. 


Day 24- A Book you later found out the Author lied about


ThreeCupsOfTea BookCover.jpg
source

 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8459110/Three-Cups-of-Tea-author-made-up-parts-of-book.html
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Cups_of_Tea

Day 25- Favorite Autobiographical/Biographical book
Cover of the book "Wishful Drinking", showing princess Leia depressed with alcohol and drugs.
source
Day 26- A Book you wish would be written

Shriner Moltar's memoirs

7 comments:

  1. That Peter sounds like a peach. What is it with men and reading on the toilet anyway? Not only do they insist on doing it, but they thing it's okay to TALK about it. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that Carrie Fisher book. I got it signed. But, it has remained on my shelf, collecting dust.

    You may have given me the kick in the pants needed to actually pick this book up, crack it open, and give it a go.

    MOPI: Today's Post - It's Raining Men ...in flannel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what? I jokingly told LJ to read to me every night in a voice mail (yeah I was drunk- what's it to ya?) but she took it to heart and is 15 chapters deep into...

    Pride and Prejudice... and Sea Monsters.

    Adds a modern twist that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pride and Prejudice will always have my heart. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does Pride and Prejudice and Zombies count as a romance novel? Cuz I'm gonna be hurting when I get to that day. If I ever make it there....

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lauren: yes, yes it does.
    @Katie: and if it is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, then it'll have your BRAAAAAIIINSSS as well.
    @Caleb: Have not made it to sea monsters yet.
    @LostinID: you will send that book to me pronto, right?
    @Dwija: Peter is champion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work Article is awosome i like satta king by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.Play bazaaris very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...