My old xanga blog! It had a couple of pictures that I'd forgotten. I was soooo cool. And young! And skinny! Oh my.
Should I add the old posts from xanga? Nah, probably not. I was more terse in 2006. And some of the posts I can't remember what I'm referencing.
Hung out with Posh Ruth tonight. She invited me over to watch 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding'. That girl has a hollow leg. Anyway... MBFGW? Imagine a community like the Amish but with Pageant Mom sensibilities and Taliban taboos.
Just precious. Jaw dropping. Eye popping. Heartbreaking.
You wouldn't think that these people consciously set themselves apart, based on what the girls wear and how they dance... but apparently so. They've got some weird courtship rituals and according to Ruth's mom, via Ruth, oddball wedding ceremonial rites.
Take for instance the Puritan-like view of female chastity. Girls aren't allowed to go anywhere alone. Not even older ones. The courtship ritual of 'grabbing', I think, fits in with this. Boys will 'grab' a girl they like, take her off from the main group, and hold her until she consents to a kiss. Holding appears, to me, violent. So far, I've seen twisted arms, arms held up from behind, and punches. The pain stops when the girl consents to a kiss or is able to get away. Some girls let themselves be grabbed, others disdain the idea until they're ready for marriage...likely the following year. They're getting married at 16, 17 years old.
I'm not saying that this is unheard of for me. I just find it somewhat appalling that these teenagers, while readied for their culture's rite of passage at that age, are not readied for life in global terms. Some, not all, but a good number quit school at the age of 11. Then five years later, they're married!?
It's a very 'in the present' lifestyle and culture. Could be due to the transient nature of their habits.
So it's on for a few more weeks. Comes on on Tuesday nights. I know I'm most likely to bring it up again. It's all TexaGermaNadian's fault.
Oddball stat: the wii just surpassed the Nintendo as the all time selling system. By far outstripping the Xbox. Nintendo's 2008 profit margin per employee: $1.28 million
Nintendo is a bigger company than Yahoo, Nike, Lowe's. Especially hard games to beat are called 'Nintendo-hard'.
Relatively, Mario jumps 27 feet according to his stature.
I loved playing Nintendo with the stepsisters. Wasn't as good as the oldest, but equal to or better than the others.
Doubt I can beat my brother at DDR. Really. That boy's got skill.
Haha, this is great. Hmmmm, maybe I should consider doing a fun drunk blog post. Depending on the day, it could be super sweet, weepy or down right angry, lol. Glad you shared post from your old blog!
ReplyDelete(Oh, and of all things I got for Christmas this year, yes I am 8 years old, I am hooked on my Nintendo DS. Have already really helped out these sales in this household!)
AND glad to see you enjoyed My Big Fat Gypsy Weddings. How crazy are those freaks?!
ReplyDeleteThat last face says, "I've been drinking and I've done something sneaky." I know. I make it allllll the time. :)
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what happened here.
ReplyDeleteThat last face also says, "I've been drinking and I'm a one girl party machine!!" Too cute!! Hey do you remember Atari?? Pac Man? Yeah... the evolution of video games has apparently moved faster than the evolution of some cultures. Very interesting!!
ReplyDeleteOh my. I was reading stuff from my xanga maybe a couple months ago or so. It was quite hilarious!
ReplyDeleteHey, sometimes Googling yourself is about all the fun you can have. I know I've done it when I was so alone. hahaha. Cute post.
ReplyDelete@TMMW: I remember Atari. I remember every little thing! I dunno anything about the face though.
ReplyDelete@Lauren: post a link or it didn't happen.
@BB: Thanks! You need to get out more, haha. Go on another 18 wheeler truck drive!
Yeah, Xanga! I started blogging there, in 2008. I like Xanga, but left because people had to register to comment, and I couldn't do enough fun stuff with the design:) You have a nice blog!!! I also google myself sometimes, but mostly to see if old sites are gone! Last time was a few days ago and I saw that my website susi.nu is number 4 or 5 or so. Cool!
ReplyDelete