Thursday, 20 January 2011

Sunshine of the Eternal Optimism of a Poker Hand

Even though I haven't been met with much success in the job market, I'm still trying.

Just got done applying for a Geography Teacher position in SE Co. Durham.

Sent them a filled out form, a CV, a map I drew (see below) and my teaching philosophy statement. Just got an email back from them (I like this because, well, it feels like they're on the ball) and it says:
"Many thanks for your application for Teacher of Geography, which we read with interest. We will be back in touch with you once the deadline has passed and we have had a chance to consider the field."
Even if they don't choose me, just to know that I will hear back a 'yea' or a 'nay' is good enough at this point.

Each time I do this... I have hope. I keep doing it because if I stop, then what's the point of even trying to begin with? If I'm not meant to have a job while I'm here, then fine. That's the hand I'm dealt and I'll play it with verve.

Yeah, I dunno what happened to all of it. 

In the meantime, I will do my utmost to enjoy this lull. It is an opportunity that scares me since I don't know what to do with it. 

Is that too Hamlet of me? Navel gazing is not fun.

14 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how you found my blog, but I agree with you about the Freedom in Greece and Rome classes! I took Freedom in Greece Fall 2009 and made it my goal to take the Rome class my final semester.

    And yes, Fears is still around. Otherwise, I don't think the classes would be as interesting if someone else was teaching it!

    I like what I can see of your map! You definitely have more artistic and creative abilities than I have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mallori- Thanks so much! I wish it'd come out perfect so I could share all of it's glory. ;)

    @BB- I appreciate it, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I think you should apply for the art teacher position instead! Those are some sick stick figures you got going on there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jobs are totally overrated. :) Still, that was a nice reply they sent back.

    Navel gazing is on my resume.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have totally goofed and sent this hand drawn map instead of the other. Then they would have never written back. Oh the joys of applying for jobs in other countries. Crossing my fingers for you. I know it all too well. Some downtime is good, too much will make us all go crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! Thanks for the plug the other day...hope all's well up north x

    ReplyDelete
  7. @MMW: In another dimension, I am an art teacher. And stick figures are too often overlooked in the pantheon of cartooning.

    @OWO: I thought so too. They are so damn polite here.

    @TXDeutscheUS'sHat: I need to see this map of which you speak? Horrors?

    @Rob: Thanks ever so, duck. Aye, the north be doing just fine. How's down south?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, love the map. And not sure what brought up Freedom of Greece/Rome but man did I love those classes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Lauren - Ah ha! There you are! Missed ya. I found a fellow OU alumni (current tho) who's taking FoR...hence the comment's origin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, my time before leaving OK was crammed full of everyone who, rather than ask me to hang out for the month I was there, decided that the last 4 days needed to be crammed full of hours of long lunches and dinners catching up. I feel like I've had enough socialness to last for months! I got backed up on lots of my online stuff! Glad to be back tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic map! Good luck with the job hunting, but enjoy the lull.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ADoC: Thanks very much! I had fun making it. Lull is a good word for it and I think you're right.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good work Article is awosome i like satta king by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.Play bazaaris very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...