Saturday, 12 February 2011

Writing Exercise

The street scene outside of the shop window was percolated by droplets of side-swiping rain.  It was a bitchy sort of rain, she thought.  The kind that caused people to pop into the shop just to get out from the weather's assault.


And so it did. He came in, eyes and cheeks bulging.  He hacked once, then twice, into his closed fist.  Wheezing, he beelined for the bric-a-brac, stuffing gloves in his pocket. The hat was left on. She was glad he came in. She had started worrying if he would come in today. As she helped others at the till, she surreptitiously watched him as he browsed. Sometimes he would buy a trinket from the shelves. Most times, not. She scanned his coat-covered tummy for a glimpse of  a new brooch or pin, counting as she did. Fourteen. Not as many as last time, she mused. 


The shelves held the man in their particular sway, a siren song for the hole he was trying to fill. His hand reached out, hovered, and settled on a pint glass. He brought it to the counter, eyes never wavering from the prize. 


Why did he pick that particular pint glass, she wondered, as she turned it over looking for the price tag. Homer Simpson stared glassily up at her. "Ninety-nine pence, please.", she said.  A pound was handed over, a pence was placed back in his hand.  Into the pocket it went, with the gloves. The hat, having never been taken off, was Russian. 




The writing exercise was to write a short vignette (short, impressionistic scenes that focus on one moment or give a particular insight into a character, idea, or setting).
Check out Erin's and Aimee's.

14 comments:

  1. This is Great, Molly. I'll add it to the post, although as you probably noticed, it was the most unpopular post I've ever written.

    Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey, I didn't know you were a fiction writer! This is intriguing, I want to know why she worries he won't come in, does she fancy him; is he her long lost father; the child she had adopted at birth, he old school master?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was amazingly well done. I am intrigued and wish to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were a cat I would be dead from curiosity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat exercise! I'm so happy to find your site, it is so fun!
    Cheers!
    Meri
    merigoesround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thanks...

    @Eryl... This isn't fiction. It happens nearly every time I work at the charity shop.
    @Jax...Thank you. But this is all there is. Because really, that IS all there is.
    TMMW: YOGA POST! (retracts claws)
    @Meri...Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww I've missed hearing about the Russian broach guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Intriguing. But - at the risk of getting thumped by yor legion of admirers - the piece feels a little loose to me.
    May I respectfully urge you to read:
    http://www.conversionchronicles.com/How_Adjectives_Can_Kill_Your_Conversion_Rate.html
    I'm in no way affiliated with this lady, it's just that portions of her article came to mind while I was reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Lauren... I missed Russian Hat Man too. Glad he shows up so I don't have to worry about him.

    @Gary...thanks for the tip. I meant it to be loose as I interpreted 'impressionistic' that way, along the lines of the Impressionist painters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooohh...this makes me want to try a little fiction again. It's been years! It seems I've been chronically wrapped up in talking about myself lately. Thanks for this. And for the record, adjectives and loose associations are like Jolly Ranchers for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ta-Da! I hope I did it right ;)

    http://www.pleasantlydemented.com/2011/02/man-in-box.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay so this is so up my alley it's not even funny. I may need to join in on this fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...