Monday, 16 May 2011

30 Days of Books- Day 7

Day 7- A Book That's Hard to Read

Tony Parsons' My Favourite Wife
My Favourite Wife
source
I picked it up thinking it was by the same author who wrote About A Boy. That would be Nick Hornby, not Tony Parsons. Nope. Tony Parson wrote Man and Boy and because I'm denser than water, I got confused.

I bought it sometime last year. Finally finished it two weeks ago. It's only 405 pages (405 holla!). I don't know why it took me so long. I'd read a bit and get bored but retain just enough interest to keep it bookmarked. Same thing happened to me with Girl with Industrial Ink on her Dermatitus, only with that book I was infuriated. 

So. My Favourite Wife. Had the Asia element that I usually like, mixed with British characters which is always good fun. I thought Bill was a weak character, but in a positive way. I really didn't like him which sucked because he's on most every page. 

Really, it didn't feel altogether that well written or edited. It was the reading equivalent of watching an Atom Egoyan film... emotional alienation between the husband and wife, the geography of the setting creating isolation from reality. 

I finished it because I don't like not finishing books. It paid off and its ending let Bill's character develop into a pseudo likable person... When it was time to nut up or shut up, he nutted up. About damn time too seeing as it was the end of the book.

I'm not kidding about the Atom Egoyan metaphor.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, tho I'm not a big fan of Atom Egoyan, his movies are too weird for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just found your blog, its nice keep up the good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kidding or not I suck at Metaphors. Hated that section on my SATS. Still I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't lie, I'm clueless about the Atom Egoyan reference and too lazy to Google it. Hate me, you're not the only one. BUT, I'm with you on the Tattoo book. Still haven't finished. Feeling a lot like the experience you had with this novel. I'll let you know when I get through Tattoo and we can compare notes, because I'm sure you'll be sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to hear about my reading adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...