Wednesday, 11 May 2011

30DOB- Day 2 & Sam's Seat

We're pretty much the same everywhere aren't we, humans? Like Frances Hodgson Burnett implies, we all just want a bit of earth that is our own.

And now it's mine

Whoever Sam is, he's got great handwriting and syntax. So clear! So concise! I'd like to meet Sam and let him know that I didn't mean anything by it when I put my purse on his seat. No disrespect. I ain't frontin'.

The first time I saw this kid's claim, I was slightly uncomfortable. You go on with your business, the day to day humdrum. You know that someone has sat in your row, possibly even that very seat you're sitting in just then. There's evidence all around you; empty wrappers and discarded drink containers, ghostly smears of hands and fingers on the windows... you HAVE the knowledge that, yes, this is public transportation, that people exist in time on this very bus.... but, heretofore, it has been anonymous. Now it has changed.

Now it has a name...and if it has a name, then you're reluctant to dismiss the entity. Sam. His name is Sam. Her name is Sam. Sam I am. It is now my seat.

Day 2- A Book You Hate.

Steig Larsson's book, Girl with a Stupid Tattoo... or whatever it is called.

I care nothing for ExtremelyNorthernEuropean authors. Even Hans Christian Anderson, a Dane, comes very damn close to getting the axe from me... Little Match Girl anyone? The real  Little Mermaid?

Yeah I read the first of the Millenium trilogy. That's three days of my life I wish back. I'd've rather had read a Christopher Moore book for the umpteenth time again. His books, I can get behind those books. Lisbeth Salander... I kept trying to read it as Salamander... like she was some irascible Pokemon. The character was just unbelievable, all of them were.

And same goes for ExtremelyNorthernEuropean movies. Can't abide those either. I don't get the humor or the drama. I think it's like watching Benny Hill behaving like a 14 year old girl cutting herself. Ew.

What's a book you hate?

8 comments:

  1. I hated Tale of Two Cities!! I had a 4.0 average in English until that book was assigned! Damn you Dickens!! Like one city wasn't good enough for you???

    (I'm not bitter. I'm not bitter.)

    I couldn't get get through the Mother Loving CLIFF NOTES!!

    (Not bitter. Not bitter.)

    I love myself - hummmm!

    Going to my happy place now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frances is getting a lot of play through my bloggy friends this month...random.

    Hans. I almost failed out of my honor English class thanks to Tale of Two Cities. (I am bitter, I am bitter)

    Even the stinking cliff notes bored the living crap out of me.. (bitter, bitter)

    However, The Little Mermaid and The Little Match girl struck a cord when I was kid. I was angst ridden, what can say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I hated Catcher in the Rye. Couldn't relate to it and didn't even finish it. Also Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon and Mother of Pearl by I don't know who.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wuthering Heights. Girls in my high school would swoon over Heathcliff. I found his grandiose tendencies frightening not romantic. Not to mention incest. Enough said :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo either, but not because of why you didn't like it. At page 300 and whatever, it skipped back to about 150 and repeated itself. I missed everything. All the reveals of the murderer and everything. Ridic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved the trilogy of Stieg Larssen's books. They were slow going in the beginning of each but then they just grabbed me. I did not see the movies until after I read all 3. Wouldn't give you 2 cents for the movies. But hey, to each his own right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't read that much nowadays, let alone read something that I hate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, well there was this one book...was supposed to be really dramatic I think: Who Moved My Cheese?

    I just couldn't get into it, though. Such a shame...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...