Want to know why I was able to read that honker in that time frame? Two reasons... but one more than the other...let you decide the import...
Nursery School
I've read it before because it is a combination of The Stand, Swan Song, and Dracula
Similarity to The Stand: Las Vegas, Dreams, Awesome Righteous Black Lady, Virus.
Similarity to Swan Song: Apocalyptic, Nuclear Weapons, Little Savior Girl.
Similar to Dracula: Vampires... but I could've just as easily said Twilight or True Blood... only Bram Stoker's Dracula (the Bela Lugosi movie version) is referenced.
I neither recommend or disrecommend this book. Depends on what you like, and I'm guessing you won't like.
In honor of my achievement in reading excellence I commence the 30 Days of Books. And I will do this in my own way and in my own time. I kept waiting on Lauren to get started so I could copy her, but alas.
Day 1- Your Favorite Book
![]() |
| source |
McCammon tends to write about the macabre and unsurprisingly, there's some of the macabre in this book. However, it isn't the focus or even overwhelming. It's there but only as sinister as the imagination of a child. Which, come to think of it, can be quite scary.
Anyway, it takes place in rural 1964 Alabama... The bombing of the Birmingham church and riding bikes on the last day of school, first day of summer...A wispy, lispy boy with a perfect arm... Giant prehistoric, man-eating catfish...The Klan...A ghost and a hotrod... A murder... Dreams.
This book is the unseen force behind my first college major choice. I'm always the only one who's read it... no one I know outside of my immediate family has read this. Maybe Pat. Or Steve. Both even.
Since my favorite third space, Borders, is most likely closed in your area... here's your Amazon link.

I always knew you were awesome but I'm pleased that you have confirmed my long standing suspicion that you also have a love for the dark side!!
ReplyDelete766 pages in a day. A girl after my own heart!
ReplyDeletep.s. Always share random anecdotes inspired by some fool thing I've said. It's what I live for!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great book! Have you read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle? Based on your description of Boy's Life I think you would like it :)
ReplyDeleteSadly I haven't read that one. Steve might have though. I'll have to give that a try.
ReplyDeleteyou go girl... I haven't done that since the last Harry Potter book. I look forward to more book recommendations from you!
ReplyDeleteWow.. that's some pmpressive reading!! You must have had some lovely peace and quiet!Hope you enjoyed your day!
ReplyDelete* impressive ..obviously lol!! ALthough the mis-spell does look like pimpressive haha!
ReplyDeleteWe need to make it into a movie!!!
ReplyDeleteI love this idea!
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog, I'm originally from OK (Ponca) but now live in Essex. Used to live in Northumberland though! Hope you're loving Durham, it;s one of my favourite UK cities.
Jeepers! You're a fast reader!!! I've been trying to read Water for Elephants for two weeks and am only halfway through. I know everyone keeps talking about how much they love it, but I'm struggling to get through it. Glad you liked my book!! I think I may try Boy's Life.
ReplyDelete