Saturday, 14 May 2011

30 Days of Books- Day 5

Day 05- A Non-fiction book that you actually enjoyed


 I resent the qualification "actually" applying to the enjoyment of non-fiction and I therefore humbly submit for the approval of the Midnight Society that I refrain from considering this day.


I've actually enjoyed most every book I've ever read, fiction and non-fiction. Take that, Dewey Decimal.


Because I'm refusing to cop out on this... here you go. A required book from one of my East Asia History classes from back in the day. I actually enjoy rereading this when I can.


source

An up close and personal look at Mao's China. After reading this book, it finally dawned on me why Eddie Izzard says "little red cookbook, little red cookbook" in Dressed to Kill.

God, I can be dense at times.

Jung Chang's father was one of the first Communist revolutionaries, her mother was a Manchurian teen rebel... fireworks were inevitable. And there's pictures! I love pictures in non-fiction books.

So, yeah. Romance, war, class struggle, ostracism... what's not to love? It's banned in mainland China, but can be obtained in Hong Kong and Taiwan... so there you go.

Really, it is a great inside look, generationally, at China of the 20th century. Some people liked it and praised it to high heaven; some didn't, calling it 'faction'- history told by fictional narrative means.

Whatever... if it gets some people interested in history, I'm all for it. Ends justifying the means, you know?

How about you? What's your non-fiction book that you actually enjoyed?

13 comments:

  1. I read this book because I wanted to (I read a lot about China when I was getting ready to move there) and found it very interesting. I enjoyed it a lot:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, if you haven't read The Glass Castle you must. read. it. Here's the Amazon link, but I'm sure it's available in some UK place. Or a library: http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Castle-Memoir-Jeannette-Walls/dp/074324754X

    I read it in one day. Couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like an awesome, intriguing read * * thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been trying to read this one, but I can't really get into it. Maybe I should give it another try. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am excited to read more of your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not much into nonfiction. I might just read the one you just read, sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dunno. I think I'm a little confused. Does the word "actually" imply that this should be a book that you thought you wouldn't like but then you did? If so, that brings me to another question. Who would Actually read a book that they thought they wouldn't like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is totally off your subject, but I was in "Cheese on my Entire Family" and I saw you mention the verification word that was hilarious. I am starting, (on Monday, or you can go early) a new game for all of us bloggers called "Blogger-dash" where you put the best verification word you find and make up a definition for it. Then we all vote and I feature the winner on my page. Check it out - with that word, you might take it! http://www.hereslivinthedream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back on subject, I had to read one on an Australian girl when I was in college and you just reminded me of it. It told of the hardships she went through: droughts, dying sheep, dust, etc. I can't remember the name of it and I haven't seen it on my shelves. I'll have to seek it out. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm more of a historical fiction gal - loving The Forgotten Garden right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like non-fiction!! I read non-fiction! Scanning through your comments, House Unseen reminded me of the Glass Castle. Loved that book. I have read sooo many books that I joined an online book trade group. So that one is already gone from my stockpile :(

    Anyway, glad to be here and I am a new follower.
    Looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too take offense to "actually" enjoyed as I really like nonfiction.

    I am going to change the wording a little for mine tomorrow.

    Also, are these all posted somewhere so I can look ahead or are you just making it up?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this book and found it insightful and fascinating. I'm glad to know there are others out there who have read it and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had started reading this book about 15 years ago, but my high school brain got so bored that it liquified, thus I never finished. I do recall it being interesting, though... but not as interesting as boys. Now that there are no boys around, maybe I should pick this back up again.

    I admit, I prefer non-fiction over fiction any day and self-help/improvement books have been my favorite lately. After all, I need all the help I can get :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment if what I wrote struck you as something to laugh, think, or argue about. If you think I'm champion enough to give an award to, thanks, but I respectfully decline the blog herpes. Please burn it in the fiery pit of Mordor. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...