![]() |
| source |
What other throwaway salutations can you think of that I can use in the shop? I'm running out of phrases and I "cain't ree-lie on mah charmin' ack-sent all thuh tie-m".
Oh the perils of language, I heart thee. Today, I said to two customers as they were leaving the store, "Thanks for coming in!" The daughter turned to her dad and asked him, "What did she say?"
Day 6- A Book That Makes You Cry
There's lots of books that make me cry. Nicholas Sparks, Cecilia Ahern... you are like my contact and my eye is like my eye and I've got my eye on you. ಠ_ಠ
Because I heart this book so much so, I pick The Help. I cry at the end. Abileen's and Mae Mobley's relationship, to me, is the most poignant of all delineated in this novel. Most likely, it's because kiddo's the same age-ish.
And there's a good underlying theme that I want to teach kiddo for when she's a grownup... no matter what circumstances we find ourselves born into, we all start out the same... We want to grow up with love and respect for ourselves and others. We all want to be recognized. We all want someone to tell us that we are kind and smart, to help us start believing in ourselves.
Here's an obvious statement: children aren't born hating the world and those who live on it. Hate is a learned behavior, a cultural phenomenon. And I think it is slowly, gradually on it's way out. Take for instance the case of the Texas (whyitalwaysgottabeTexas?) teacher who taunted a Muslim student the day after OBL's death, "I heard your uncle died", and "I bet you're grieving." A different student, a friend of the girl's, witnessed this and took steps to address the situation. And the two girls, friends, are of different creeds... and it didn't matter. You can read about it yourself here and see the news video also.
What I took from The Help is that norms are the lines that form uncrossable boundaries between each of us...those of status quo, of belief systems, of beauty standards...they're like monsters in the closet. The lines exist only in our heads. And I'm all for stepping over the line.
I'm looking forward to the movie adaptation. What book makes you cry?
![]() |
| Have read this sucker three times now since last August. |
Because I heart this book so much so, I pick The Help. I cry at the end. Abileen's and Mae Mobley's relationship, to me, is the most poignant of all delineated in this novel. Most likely, it's because kiddo's the same age-ish.
And there's a good underlying theme that I want to teach kiddo for when she's a grownup... no matter what circumstances we find ourselves born into, we all start out the same... We want to grow up with love and respect for ourselves and others. We all want to be recognized. We all want someone to tell us that we are kind and smart, to help us start believing in ourselves.
Here's an obvious statement: children aren't born hating the world and those who live on it. Hate is a learned behavior, a cultural phenomenon. And I think it is slowly, gradually on it's way out. Take for instance the case of the Texas (whyitalwaysgottabeTexas?) teacher who taunted a Muslim student the day after OBL's death, "I heard your uncle died", and "I bet you're grieving." A different student, a friend of the girl's, witnessed this and took steps to address the situation. And the two girls, friends, are of different creeds... and it didn't matter. You can read about it yourself here and see the news video also.
What I took from The Help is that norms are the lines that form uncrossable boundaries between each of us...those of status quo, of belief systems, of beauty standards...they're like monsters in the closet. The lines exist only in our heads. And I'm all for stepping over the line.
I'm looking forward to the movie adaptation. What book makes you cry?


Hey music twin...you have been added to my post...so sorry for the gross oversight
ReplyDeletePunk rock forever
I also read The Help. I didn't cry though. I did cry when I read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. The message is each book is similiar though, I think. People were afraid of what they didn't understand and their fear generated a hate reaction. That's probably the first and only intellectual comment you'll ever receive from me, because I much more prefer to leave comments like this:
ReplyDeleteI once learned from a well-to-do friend of mine who was brought up quite proper that the Country Club lady-like to say "fuck you" is "That's Niiiice."
Example:
"Gee, I love your pearl necklace."
"That's Niiiiiice."
See?
Even American English has strange translations!
btw, for the third time tonight, when i looked at your blog title, i saw "30 days of boobs"
ReplyDeletetherez my shark teeth, okie lady
First of all, I LOVE this 30 days of books idea. I'm going to have to follow along for sure. I saw The Help (the movie version) previewed when I went to see Water for Elephants earlier this month. It looked really good. You make me want to read the book for SURE! And I need a good new book. Thanks for the tip!
ReplyDeleteLove the translation guide, too. Very interesting! I always think of everyone's standard response to "how are you doing?" "Fine," most of us say. But I doubt that the answer is true, and I doubt even more that the question is asked with much sincerity at all. It's nice to know it's asked and answered with some sincerity there.
Islands In The Stream made me cry.
ReplyDeleteI have not heard about this book, but I am really intrigued! ANd yes, it always is Texas. As a matter of fact, it seems to always be around my neck of the woods. Happened just 15 minutes away (where that teacher worked). Thanks for that, you loser teacher man, you.
ReplyDeleteMe as well. BTW...I used a chart like that for a clock work orange. Sadly I had to buy the audio book. Double BTW...I made you blog of the day.
ReplyDeleteI have not read ANY of your books so far. I am putting several of them on my "to read" list and this one is going to the top based on the movie trailer because I like to read it before I watch it.
ReplyDeleteI definitely cried at the end of The Help as well! The most recent book I've read that made me cry no wait ball was Two Kisses for Maddy. I had to read it a chapter at a time because by the end of a few pages, I was a blubbering mess!
ReplyDeleteI hadn't heard that story about the Muslim student and I'm sort of glad I didn't--that type of behavior, especially from someone who is in a position of authority, is inexcusable.
I have never read The Help but I will have to before the movie comes out. One book hat I cry at the end of every time is Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian. The way that boy is treated at home just gets me every time.
ReplyDelete