Twice yesterday, two customers at two different times (also two different genders) said they were "just having a bit of a mooch."
Urban Dictionary (thank God for that crap) had so many different meanings that if I only knew the first two, I'd've been offended. As it was intended however, it is "aimless carrying out of tasks subconsciously". Otherwise known as browsing.
Some more fun:
"Divn't dunch us!" = Don't bump into me. (Found on a bumper sticker.)
"Hoo's ya fettle?" = How are you?
"Ta-rah now, pet." = Goodbye (to a female. Also duck and flower can be interchanged with pet)
"Ootside! Yeandme!" = Let us step outside and settle our differences, man to man, like gentlemen. (I've only heard this the once. Bunch of tossers.)
If you want to order a ham sandwich (which you shouldn't because it's not all that common) you'd say, "Ah want a ham bait." And since you most likely shouldn't order the ham sandwich due to you being able to get ham at home, (why are you ordering a ham sandwich on vacation!?) you should order the chicken and sweetcorn jacket, which is a baked potato. Or if you don't like chicken and sweetcorn, try tuna and beans on your jacket potato. It's very nice.
Should your friend get the same thing you order and doesn't eat very neatly, you could say to them, "Yee hev summat on yor face."
When husband comes home and you're up to the elbows in dishes/laundry/diapers/wet mani-pedi, you can tell your hinney to "tek the doog yeut fo' a pee, me hands are full up now."
The Geordie accent is among a few other British accents to appear to be discriminated against based on what I've seen and read online. But that Cheryl Cole from the X Factor is Geordie and also call centers report that listeners say it is a relaxing accent. So things are looking up for Geordie speakers.
So, leave a comment with what you want translated into Geordie. This should be fun. Ta-ra now, pets/ducks/flowers.
Love it! Have you ever watched Little Britain? It's a really funny British comedy show (try to watch the original not Little Britain USA because I think the quality went down a bit when they aired it on HBO) and this accent sounds like one they use in episodes quite a bit!
ReplyDeleteHow about something cake related I can say to my customers?
ReplyDeleteI wish i had known some of these sayings so I could tease my roommate a bit better...
ReplyDeleteSounds more complicated than I even thought it would be. Thanks for the lesson.
ReplyDeleteHahah!!! Yea, I have read a few articles which say that the Geordie accent has been polled to be th most trustworthy accent too. People seem to love it, however a proper strong Geordie accent can be difficult to decipher and we all talk so fast!
ReplyDeleteOh- also try beans and grated mozzarella cheese on your jacket potato!! Yummy!!
Um, have to say that would be even harder than learning a new language! Holy. I learned something new today, haha. Yeah, to stay out of the Geordie area, haha, just kidding. Sounds endearing :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a quaint accent. How would you go about saying "what a quaint accent?"
ReplyDeleteAlso, I want to learn how to say offensive things in this accent, as it would probably entertaining. Please to be posting?
I don't even understand half of the Geodie expressions and I'm English, albeit southern
ReplyDeleteI'd like to know different ways of saying "you're an idiot"... I wanna test them on my dear hubs :)
ReplyDelete"Hoo's ya fettle?" This sounds like dirty-talk. I shall use it as such from now on. Thanks!
ReplyDelete@Lauren: It's 'yas an radgie'
ReplyDeleteI, like Lauren, wanted to know how to say "you're an idiot." And there it is. Can't wait to use it around here.
ReplyDeleteBut, I would also like to know different ways of saying, "Brush your teeth," "flush the damn toilet," "unclog the toilet," "clean up your stuff," etc because the kids don't seem to understand my accent.
Would love to know how you say "you damn right". Thanks for the lesson, this seems extremely complicated :D
ReplyDelete@Jax: Yee damn reet
ReplyDelete@Mollie- I very rarely use th word radgie but oh how I love it when I do haha!! I have a little giggle to myself!
ReplyDeleteI love these language posts of yours. They're awesome. I'm probably reading them wrong 'cuz in my mind I'm reading them with a Scottish brogue. The way you spell things reminds me of the way my Uncle speaks & they're all the way up in N. Scotland. LOL
ReplyDeleteGood work Article is awosome i like satta king by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.Play bazaaris very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs
ReplyDelete