![]() |
| My first nuclear power plant! WHOOOO SHEFFIELD? |
![]() |
| Rapeseed |
Train station. Bought another cup of coffee. Splurged on a blueberry muffin. Will never do so again. Eww, thanks ever so much, Costa.
While in line for the coffee, overheard a posh woman telling another wide-eyed woman in blue velour how not to travel in London today.
"Don't take a bus, don't even take the Underground! Somebody may plant a bomb! My son's left the city for the day. So many foreigners, you know."
An unmistakable Texan twang answered her. "Yes ma'am, I know."
While waiting for the train to arrive, we were accosted by the random Baptist missionary from Texas. She was visiting old friends from back in the day (last year). She asked us if we were cold. We weren't. Hardcore girls of the North East don't get cold. However, she was dressed sensibly, layers of blue velour track suit covering her generosity of character. We had a moment, her and I, us two American Southerners of the American Midwest.
"So where y'all going?"
"London."
Smiles then at that point, with an elegant and awkward pause after.
thinking to myself, 'Oh god, I've gone native.'
She shivered, pulled her scarf up higher. "Well, you guys look great."
At that compliment my verbal diarrhetic American self returned. "Thanks! Yeah, we're going to head on down and see what's what. Gunna buy some buntin' when we get there, go with our Kate masks." I tell her more than I intend to tell, more than I knew was for actual certainty. I had no idea what I'd be doing exactly or where I'd be, but here I was, telling a perfect stranger more than was necessary for such a casual encounter.
She looked at us incredulously. "What's a Kate mask? Can I see?"
Ruth glared at me. "Certainly." And she dug into her bag, getting out this fairly common item to show to our new friend the future Queen's mug.
"Oh wow! That'll be fun!"
A horn sounded from the north, heading our way. Thank goodness. The Texan pastor's eyes took on a wild look as she scrambled for her suitcases. Ruth looked quizzically at me as we walked up to the platform where we thought our assigned car would stop.
"Are you like Big Fella, with the crazy and interesting ones coming up to you for random interaction?"
"Yeah. I got that face."
"Thought so. Oh, no. Here she comes again."
Puffing after us, Texan Baptist called, "How do you get on the train? Does it matter where you get on or where you sit?"
"No. It really doesn't if there aren't signs that say the seat is reserved. Sit wherever you can."
And then we were on the train. And our tablemates were so sourfaced, I found myself wishing for the brash, nosy American.
...to be continued



Thank you for clearing up that those beautiful yellow fields are rapeseed. I'd been wondering. Can't wait to read more!! Thank you for linking up today XOL
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a bit of an adventure! Linda x
ReplyDeleteyour personalities sound just like those of my wife and I.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read more.
love this post - you can certainly encounter some poe faced types on British trains.
ReplyDeleteOK. I will admit that I was one of those who was like "uuuhhh I am so TIRED of this wedding crap. Who cares? They're not MY royalty."
ReplyDeleteAnd then at 4am, I couldn't sleep feeling like I was missing something, and so I dragged myself out of bed and went to watch the live coverage.
And not only did I CARE. I cried. Like several times! It was great. I kept hoping that when they scanned the crowds I would see you (and somehoe magically KNOW you when I saw you) so I can't wait for the follow-up post.
Ahh the Great British train passengers. There are some right miserable people about haha!! I am sure you will have managed to liven the carrigae up a bit :-) Did you enjoy the day? It just looked crazy on tv! So many people!!!!
ReplyDeleteI think its funny that she warned the natives about going to London. Yet, not the foreigners. *loL*
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear how your trip into London went.
Stopping from Storytellers blog hop.
Calling by from The Post of The Month Club, we British can be very poe faced :)
ReplyDelete"verbal diarrhetic American self" .... rofl!
ReplyDeleteWhat is it about us? lol Great post, btw.
Visiting from the Storytellers blog hop :)
You got to go to the Royal Wedding? Must say I am jealous!
ReplyDeleteVisiting from Texas blog hop :)
Can't wait to read more! I think I saw you on TV...you were the one wearing the hat right?
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are sharing all these deets!! I didn't get to watch the wedding but I was at work afterward looking through all the photos but a first hand account is awesome and you two do look FABULOUS!!
ReplyDeleteI'm finally getting caught up. Jeez where the hell have I been????
ReplyDeletep.s. I am a brash, nosy American. Someday I will accost you in blue velour and you will rejoice!
@Dwija: You know I will!
ReplyDelete@Jamie: Thanks so much!
@Lesley: Yep. I wore the hat. And a tiara.
@Shaeleen: Yeah, it was fun! Thanks for stopping by!
@XLMIC: I don't know what it is about us, but I try to avoid it when I can.
@LLMac: Poe faced! Hah! But why?
@Bernie: Thanks for stopping by! The trip was great!
@Missy: I like to think I brighten it up wherever I go. I sure did enjoy the day, every bit!
@Selena: I teared up too. So happy for him and her!
@David: Thanks so much, that means a lot! Because you're a professional and that means tons!
@Lance: I bet you two are worse! Haha!
@Flowers: You bet it sure was an adventure! First time there too!
@HappyHomemakerUK: I think that rapeseed is what Sting was talking about when he wrote and sang "Fields of Gold", n'est ce pas? LOL.
Good work Article is awosome i like satta king by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.Play bazaaris very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs
ReplyDelete